HSSM is home to over 300 pets on any given day, most of which are looking for new forever homes! Your new best friend could be waiting at HSSM right now. Our beautiful, 41,000 square foot facility is open to the public Tuesday – Saturday from 10 a.m. until 6 p.m. No appointment is necessary to browse our adoptable animals. Prefer to browse online? Our adoptable animals page is self-updating and displays ALL of HSSM’s adorable adoptable pets from “pocket pets” to birds and of course the hundreds of dogs and cats currently calling HSSM home! See one you like? Make sure you note your favorite’s name and animal ID number so that HSSM staff and volunteers can easily find him/her when you come in!
Planning your visit
- HSSM is open for adoptions Tuesday – Saturday from 10 a.m. until 6 p.m. No appointment is necessary to adopt, however, adoptions are first-come, first served. You must come to HSSM to complete your adoption and make sure you bring a photo ID, as it is required to complete adoption paperwork.
- If you have a particular pet in mind, please make a note the animal’s name or pet ID number, and let one of our Adoption Counselors know upon your arrival to the shelter so we can expedite your search.
- Adoptions are cut off every day about 30 minutes prior to closing and possibly earlier if volume is high. Weekends are busy and you may have to wait more than an hour (especially in the afternoons) so please be prepared.
- If the pet you’ve selected is already spayed or neutered, you will be able to take him/her home that very same day. If your pet has to stay to be “fixed”, it will be 2-5 business days before you can return to take your new pet home. HSSM’s Louise Fenner Claiborne Spay Neuter Clinic will contact you once your pet is ready to be picked up.
The adoption process
- Although we ask that you not touch the kennels or animals to reduce the spread of illness, once you’ve found a pet you’re interested in adopting, we highly encourage interaction! Our Adoption Counselors will be happy to facilitate a meeting, a cuddle session or even an interaction between your current pets and the new pet you’d like to adopt.
- Our facility has several play-yards as well as a walking track for potential adopters to interact with our adoptable animals.
- The adoption interview and paperwork usually takes about an hour to complete (including waiting time). You will need a valid photo ID.
- HSSM does not hold animals and all adoptions are done on a first come, first served basis. Certain exceptions may apply.
- Adopters must be 18 years old with a valid picture I.D.
- Adopters will be asked to complete a preliminary adoption questionnaire. If you lease or rent, get permission from your landlord or the primary resident prior to adoption. HSSM reserves the right to contact your landlord for verification.
- Meet and greets are not required of all animals, but may be deemed necessary by HSSM staff.
- The Humane Society of South Mississippi reserves the right to refuse adoption to anyone for any reason.
All adoption fees include: Your new pet, Spay/Neuter, Up-to-date Vaccinations, Microchip & engraved ID tag, Free vet exam within 7 days of adoption, 30 days of FREE 24hour Pet Watch Pet Health Insurance, one FREE starter bag of Hill’s Science Diet food, plus a lifetime of unconditional love! Throughout the year, pets may have lowered or waived adoption fees as part of adoption specials. Occasionally, highly desirable and purebred pets may have an increased adoption fee ($175 – $350)* to help sustain adoption specials and ensure continued animal care is possible for other pets in need. If you have any questions about fees, please email email@example.com.
- Puppies under 9 months- $110-350*
- Dogs 10 months to 5 years- $95-350*
- Young at heart (5+ years)- $60-125
- Muttley Crue- $75
- Lonely Hearts- $40
- Kittens under 9 months – $60-75*
- Adult cats (10+ months) – $40-75*
- Lap Lovers – $20
- Foster Parents: 10% off the regular adoption fee of a foster pet
- Twice as Nice: Discounts apply when adopting more than one pet at a time. Speak with an adoption counselor for details!
- Senior Citizens: 20% off the regular adoption fee for persons 65+.